The odds of winning the Mega Millions $1.35 billion prize in the United States is 1 in 302 million. Just winning a “break even” prize and matching the bonus ball is 1 in 37. If you were to randomly select one person from the entire U.S. population of 331,893,745 and guess they were a NASA astronaut? Your odds are 40 times better than winning this lottery.
But hey, it’s fun to dream, right? So let’s dream BIG! What could you do with the lottery prize?
Well let’s break it down. You don’t actually win the $1.35 billion Mega Millions prize, unless you select the option to spread it out over 30 years. This would come out to $45 million a year (on average) before taxes. If you take the more popular lump sum, you get a paltry $708 million, also before taxes. Assuming you are in Texas, as we are here at Geek News Now, there’s no state income tax so we catch a break there.
You can still walk away with $446 million, so you can still pick up a couple dozen eggs and live a comfortable lifestyle.
What else can you grab for that amount of dough?
- You want a Playstation 5 console with the God of War Ragnarok bundle? You can get 797,853 of them, but controllers are extra.
- How about Starkiller Neopixel Lightsabers because hey, they’re on sale! Take home 1,158,441 of those bad boys.
- 4-day tickets to Celebration London? With enough money to buy 2,310,880 of them, you can bring the entire city of Houston with you!
- 1:1 life-size War Machine Mark I suit, made to measure. Now you can have 31,857 of them at home.
- The Ressikan flute played by Sir Patrick Stewart in “The Inner Light” sold at auction in 2021 for $190,000 so sadly you can only buy it 2347 times.
- In the last 18 months, Fire Emblem Heroes has made $400 million for Nintendo. You can make that in a day!
- I didn’t forget about you DC fans. How about a Wonder Woman authentic outfit? Corset, skirt, boots, gauntlets, the whole thing? After buying 508,551 and wear one every day for 1393 years and not wear the same one twice.
- Want to make Sheldon Cooper jealous? You can buy the most expensive comic book in the world, Action Comics #1, 139 times (if that many copies exist at all).
If you do end up winning the Mega Millions, please be responsible enough to hire a lawyer and financial advisor (maybe more than one). Then be sure to reach out to us. We always welcome investors! What would YOU buy with that amount of money? Drop a comment!