Nintendo has outdone themselves once again. With the release of “Splatoon 3” last Friday, the big N has given us a fun, breathtakingly beautiful game that is suitable for the whole family.
For those of you unfamiliar with the “Splatoon” franchise; it is a third person shooter that gets real chaotic, real fast. Instead of bullets, the player shoots paint. Instead of dying, the player gets “splatted” in a non violent manner and respawns instantly, allowing you to rejoin the fun as soon as possible.
The controls are easy to learn and the gameplay is as far away from complicated as can possibly be. It is a good natured romp through a visually stunning setting that is as easy on the eye as the gameplay is for the player.
Improvements Made To The Series
While the series itself doesn’t call for many improvements, the improvements that Nintendo did make really do set this installment apart and make it arguably the best game in the series so far.
- You have more freedom in designing your character. You can choose everything from skin tone to eye color to hair style; truly making your character your own, and not just a generic inkling.
- You are now given a sidekick. A tiny fish known as a “Small Fry” is at your side. You can throw it at hard to reach places giving you an extra edge that you didn’t have in previous games.
- The online play is vastly improved. It doesn’t lag as much as Nintendo games have in the past. there are no delays, and Nintendo actually prohibits players with weak connections from playing if they continuously disconnect.
- A lot more detail has been added to the campaign. It is slightly larger and more rewarding for the player. You have the ability to use your Small Fry to uncover supplies that benefit you throughout the game. The levels are fun and challenging; ranging from puzzles to shoot em up style.
- The graphics are stunning. There is a shine to the game that is hard to describe. The paint is glossy and really pops off of the screen.
Amiibo Compatibility Makes The Game Fun
One of the things that I enjoy most about the Splatoon series is there continued usage of the Amiibo figures. Amiibos are little figures that use NFC software to interact with the games that they are compatible with. You can use specific Splatoon Amiibos to unlock special features such as weapons or armor. It is a fun little feature that Nintendo brings to the table.
“Splatoon 3” is non-stop fun. It is something you can play by yourself, online, or in co-op mode with a friend and it doesn’t matter how old you are. You will find yourself escaping to Splatland to battle other squidlings and inklings in a chaotic free for all that is sure to leave a smile on your face.
I can’t think of any reason not to buy this game. Just be aware of the time. If your not careful, you will find yourself playing for hours on end.
What do you think fellow gamers? Do you love “Splatoon 3” as much as I do? Not a fan? Sound off in the comments! For more fresh, geeky content and insightful discussion, please check out our YouTube page. Stay Geeky everybody!
Thank you for reading! When I am not writing, I enjoy spending time with my wife Barbara, My two year old daughter Frankie, my hound Marbles and my ferret Ms. Farrah Pawcett.