It’s ok to stare at the trailer of this solar Eclipse. Last night during the opening moments of The Game Awards, game studio Quantic Dream revealed their long rumored action-adventure game (which we theorized about a month ago), Star Wars: Eclipse. The game is set during the “High Republic”, a relatively new era in the Star Wars mythos that takes place roughly around 200 years before A New Hope. This era sees the Jedi order at it’s most robust where their main enemies are the Nihl, space-faring anarchists vikings. It’s a relatively unexplored era outside of the books and he comics, so a video game adaptation might serve as a great introduction to non-readers about this period. But what exactly can we gleam from the trailer? Well watch it below and then we’ll dive into it.
This trailer is packed with little tidbits about this era and the settings that we will no doubt visit in the game. Let’s see what we can find:
- 0:40 – at this point we see a ship falling apart as it hurtles towards a ringed planet below. It is very similar to the beginning of the High Republic book “Light of the Jedi” where many ships are hurtling towards the Hetzal system. It’s probably not the same event, but something worth pointing out that I noticed.
- 0:44 – The architecture on this system appears to be that of Naboo with the domed and sloped roofs. However the buildings here are much taller than what we have traditionally seen from Naboo.
- 0:52 – A market or bazaar of some type filled with diverse patrons, even a dark blue Mon Calamari. Could this still be on Naboo or a different system? We also see a Duros with an eye patch roaming the street.
- 1:03 – We see a relatively younger Jedi Master Yoda, alone in the council chambers, gazing over the Coruscant skyline. Yoda here would presumably be around 700 or so years old.
- 1:16 – Two Jedi are sparring (maybe?) on a bridge of some sort with their blue and green lightsabers . The location can’t be attributed to any one specific place, but the sun is very low in the background. They appear to be two humanoid women.
- 1:21 – A planet that can only appear to be Kasyyyk as it looks similar to the Wookiee home world we see in Revenge of the Sith. A ship lands at a seaside port here.
- 1:29 – We get a good look at a regal looking Neimodian. Could he be the head of the Trade Federation during this time period, or whatever it’s equivalent is? Who knows?
- 1:32 – By far the most fascinating portion of this trailer for me. We see a curved lightsaber hilt ignite a yellow blade, and another traditional lightsaber (owned by another being) ignite a blue blade. Both figures are being approached by a mysterious mass of unrecognizable figures. Presumably an armed conflict is about to begin.
- 1:36 – a large army of troops marches toward the camera, accompanied by various airships and ground vehicles.
- 1:44 – A squadron of starships descends on what looks to be a Trade Federation ship like the ones we see in The Phantom Menace. Perhaps the Neimodian we saw earlier is on board?
- 2:20 – We see a silhouetted figure rise out of a pit of black liquid with it’s back toward us. Who could this be?
I am very excited for this new title on several fronts. First as a Star Wars fan, then a gaming fan, and lastly as a Quantic Dreams fan! Quantic Dreams is known for two things: 1.) Their amazing facial capture technology that creates very realistic looking characters, 2.) and their strong narratives and tight stories. For those who know relatively little abut Quantic Dream, I think you’re in for a very pleasant surprise when this game comes out.
What are your thoughts about this new age of Star Wars games? Are you interested in this brand new era of the franchise? Were you hoping to see the KOTOR remake like I was? Sound off in the comment section below! For coverage of all things geeky be sure to subscribe to GeekNewsNow!